We are going back behind the scenes at Ultimate for the next installment in our ‘Meet the Team’ series. This week it is the turn of Mark Hickey, one of our three Directors.
1. Let’s start from the beginning. In brief, describe the role of your job at Ultimate and what you do?
Since starting the business, my role has changed somewhat over the years. When we started out, my role was everything from sales, estimator, project manager through to accounts. Today, now that we have a strong team behind us, my role is to generally oversee the business, senior team and bring in new project enquiries. One thing that hasn’t changed is my enjoyment of meeting people and discussing their aspirations for their projects.
2. All things considered, what type of work is most likely to spark the fire in your brain? What is your dream project?
Projects that get me excited are the ones where there is a design team, the client and the contractor all involved, all sitting around a table pulling ideas together. My dream project is one where there are lots of bespoke, one off and unique features installed.
3. What incredible new invention would make your job easier and turbo charge your productivity?
Time travel machine or a glass ball! Sometimes it would be great to fast forward or look into the future to see how a project pans out. Contracting isn’t always straight forward and sometimes there can be issues along the way. Sometimes if we could foresee things, my job and everyone else’s job would be a dream!
4. When all the hard work is over, what is the most satisfying aspect of your job at Ultimate?
Receiving the recognition from the client is what it’s all about. We all like a pat on the back including the team who worked on it. Being able to see the end result of a project that was once just an idea or a sketch at one stage, is truly satisfying.
Being able to see the end result of a project that was once just an idea or a sketch at one stage, is truly satisfying.
5. If you could send out just one message that sums up your industry, what would you say?
Get ready, because there are exciting times ahead.
6. If you could teach one lesson to your younger self about your area of work, what would it be?
That I can’t do everything! Over the latter years I have surrounded myself with an excellent team here at Ultimate and they all have great strengths and attributes that they bring to the company and any project we work on.
7. When a project presents you with a difficult challenge, what is your ‘go-to’ tactic for tackling it?
My default ‘go-to’ tactic is my co-directors and the rest of the team at Ultimate. Often discussing an issue openly usually provides a solution. Contracting isn’t always easy and each project has its challenges, but it’s how you sort them out and overcome them that counts.
8. Finally, at the end of a long working week, what does your perfect weekend involve?
Spending quality time with my family and friends is important to me. I love eating out and weekends away when possible. I like to chill out on a Sunday night ready for the week ahead.
Posted June 16, 2015