In the spotlight for the latest edition of Meet the Team, is Ultimate’s Estimator and Contracts Manager, Mick Thompson! Without further ado, let’s find out what the man with the numbers has been talking about.
1. Let’s start from the beginning. In brief, describe the role of your job at Ultimate and what you do?
My role at Ultimate involves estimating tenders and pricing Design & Build Projects. When an order comes in, my role then changes to become a Contracts Manager, dealing with the project from start to finish including health and safety, variations, design, budgets, programming and managing the client’s expectations to deliver a project on time and on budget.
2. All things considered, what type of work is most likely to spark the fire in your brain? What is your dream project?
All projects excite me; I enjoy the buzz of winning a tender and then seeing them through to completion. Standing in your creation with a happy client at the end of a project is very rewarding.
3. What incredible new invention would make your job easier and turbo charge your productivity?
Possibly a robot or maybe a clone of myself so I can be in two places at once.
4. When all the hard work is over, what is the most satisfying aspect of your job at Ultimate?
For me it’s seeing what we can create from an empty shell, to a busy functioning office with innovative ideas. Things that make people stop and take note.
All projects excite me; I enjoy the buzz of winning a tender and then seeing them through to completion.
5. If you could send out just one message that sums up your industry, what would you say?
Fast paced, Innovative and forward thinking.
6. If you could teach one lesson to your younger self about your area of work, what would it be?
Listen more to people with the experience and knowledge of the industry. Never too old to learn.
7. When a project presents you with a difficult challenge, what is your ‘go-to’ tactic for tackling it?
Take a step back; look at the overall picture and all the options available. And look for the best solution.
8. Finally, at the end of a long working week, what does your perfect weekend involve?
Time with my wife and children, socializing, walking, mountain biking, watching rugby, cricket and football.
Posted April 12, 2016